It can be a struggle to find fun activities that also work on our daughter’s fine motor skills and hand strengthening. Since we are on the go to appointments, what we do has to also be portable. This is why we created the Egg Carton Fine Motor Skills Box. To make one of these at your house, follow the directions below.
Disclosure Statement: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting this site, as this site helps me support my family. You may also view my Full Disclosure at any time.
Clean Egg Carton
Circle Stickers of varying colors or Colored Permanent Markers
Clothes Pins (quantity 12)
Popsicle Sticks (quantity 12)
Pom Poms (quantity 12)
Foam Shapes (quantity 12)
- Begin by cleaning out an egg carton.
- Then place a sticker on the bottom and underneath of each egg compartment. We chose to use green, red, blue and yellow in our carton, but you can choose any colors you would like. If you don’t have any colored stickers, you can always use permanent markers instead.
- Then cut a small slit into the bottom of each egg compartment to allow a Popsicle stick to go through.
- Once you have finished preparing the egg carton, you can begin adding the manipulatives. Make sure they are colored to match the colors in the egg compartments. We chose to purchase items all ready the appropriate colors to save time, but you can certainly color them yourself to save money.
- You are now ready to have your child use the Egg Carton Fine Motor Skills Box.
To Use The Box…
Pom Pom Transfer
This game can be played a few different ways. You can simply have your child use his or her fingers to place the correct colored pom pom into the proper spot in the carton, or you could have them use tweezers. Your child could also try making the transfer using the matching colored clothespin for a little more of a challenge. This activity can be done with other manipulative such as foam shapes, deflated latex balloons, beads, stickers, etc.
Clothes Pin Match
Have your child clip a colored clothes pin to the matching color spot on the egg carton. For this game, if you would like to work on other skills, you could have them match shapes, numbers, letters, etc.
Popsicle Stick Poke
To play this game, you will need to clothes the egg carton and turn it upside down. Have your child poke the colored Popsicle sticks into the matching slot in the egg carton. To change things up, you could use other items such as straws, pipe cleaners, toothpicks, etc.
This super easy DIY Egg Carton Fine Motor Skills Box will provide your child with fun fine motor activities that are also fun and educational. Hopefully your family loves it as much as ours does.
For additional things you can make for your child at home, check out the links below.