Do you ever just need a few minutes to get things done in the day? Of course, right? We all do. Homeschooling is one of the most rewarding jobs you will ever have. It can also be one of the most challenging. We rarely get a break, and so working through our other tasks can be difficult. This is where work boxes can be a life saver. Creating reusable work boxes takes care of two problems – storage and a break from direct teaching. Here is how you can create these wonderful tools…
I like to use household materials when creating anything for school, as it saves a trip to the store as well as saves money. We purchase floor mopping wipes that come in a nice sized blue container. I save these and use them to make work boxes and other things. You could really use any box or container that works for you.
You will need all of the following items:
- Storage container
- a multi-section clear storage box
- Begin by making various work box cards.
- To do this, trace around the multi-section box to make sure your cards are the correct size.
- Make sure to also trace the section lines within the box.
- Cut the card out and begin creating each section of the work box.
- Super easy to create and no need to purchase a new box, simply create a new card and and additional manipulatives.
Work Box Ideas
Work boxes are great tools, because they can literally cover almost any learning objective. Here is a list of ideas to get you started.
- Letter Sounds
- Simple Math
- Word Families
- Occupational Therapy/ Fine Motor Skills